We hope everyone enjoyed their weekend, and perhaps made one of Diamond S Delights products a part of your weekend meals! Emma and I were very excited to see halloumi cheese back at our little store. Over the weekend we tried one of the best ways to cook halloumi -- Fried!
Halloumi is a milder cheese, which means it is great to go as an appetizer with any meal. Here is the recipe we followed:
3 Tablespoons of Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 lb of halloumi cheese sliced in 1cm thick pieces
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 TBS plain flour
10-12 oz olive oil and some raw cultured Diamond S butter
1. Pour oil and butter into a small pan or skillet.
2. After cutting your halloumi, coat slices in plain flour.
3. Whisk egg into small bowl and add the sliced, floured halloumi to coat with the egg.
4. Mix panko breadcrumbs on a small plate with dried oregano and a good grind of black pepper. Roll flour/egg coated halloumi in the panko mixture.
5. After coating with panko, add the slices of halloumi into the pan and fry for about 1 minute on each side (or until golden brown).
6. Serve as soon as all the cheese has been fried. Eat as is or dipped in honey.
This week we have kefir available! We will be giving it away at the store this Friday and Saturday. Come to taste several flavors as well as kefir ice-cream! Bring your own bottle and we would like you to take home some plain kefir as a gift for coming out to the store. If you can't make it let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make sure to get it to you on one of our delivery days.
If you are unfamiliar with kefir, it is a fermented milk product that tastes like a drinkable yogurt. Not only is it delicious, but also provides many health benefits. Kefir contains high levels of vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2, biotin, folate, enzymes and probiotics! Here's also a picture of all the great health benefits from drinking kefir.
So come on down to the store and try yours today!
As always, thanks for your interest in Diamond S Delights,